Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art & Writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Art Shops (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6199)

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 05:07 PM

Art Shops

What is y'alls opinion about them from your perspective?

As someone who is an artist at heart I've debated opening one many times. I'm not bad for someone who doesn't put any effort to getting better. Sadly I'm not disciplined, or rather I'm afraid of commitment. Because of the 3 times I have opened an art shop they didn't last long because I would get one order done before chickening out...with exception to Gaia. xD My art wasn't worth anyone's gold because I only got one order and that was from a friend I told. xP

Otherwise I love visiting art shops other people open. I just have a hard time asking for them for a drawing. Sometimes I wish someone here liked to draw background too. Then I could come up with a scene for them to draw since they're some of the most vivid parts of my dreams.

Espy 08-27-2011 05:17 PM

High five, Ju; I'm the same for both selling and buying art. All of my artshops have flopped...the orders are just sitting there turning moldy >.>

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 05:32 PM

haha I know right?
I owe art to um... -opens his folders-
to 8 people (who probably have forgotten all about them too). I haven't forgotten sadly. I wonder if I should give them partially done stuff? That seems pathetic and better of leaving them oblivious idk >_< Maybe I just can't finish what I start cause they're all half done xD;

That doesn't account for my random projects. Like you know that picture of snake in a box going "Imagination" with a rainbow over his head? I decided to do something like that with my Wizard 101 character. I just opened it. I love how it looks but I think I gave up on drawing his shirt. Always a toughie for me to do chibi bodies...

Espy 08-27-2011 05:44 PM

For me...most of my art ends up as unfinished sketches. Or outlined stuff that I never bothered to color...Most of my commishes/freebies just plain -are not started yet-, haha...

Ohshet, I keep forgetting to do Nikko's art. At this rate, it'll be a whole year overdue.

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 06:01 PM

hmm yeah. Can I see some of your finished or unfinished art? I'm not sure I've ever seen any of yours.

wow I think I'm at 5 months for his picture? xD; I don't even have the avatar saved anymore sadly. Nor do I feel like drawing Kuja (whom I think he was playing at the time).

Espy 08-27-2011 06:04 PM

Uh...recently, most of my art comes in the form of sketches done when I'm volunteering, haha...I'll grab today's sketches. Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Doop.

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 06:13 PM

Well shit that's good enough to sell on it's on here...so long as it's getting scanned.

Here is my less skillful artwork. 4 of them are owed to other people. The green guy in the corner is one art I started to make for myself.

Other stuff that is typical of my style:
Nubby hands xD
Missing Hands
About the highest quality I have ever achieved
Unless this counts

I'm not very good compared to actual artists. But as frustrated as I get while attempting to draw I'm content with my skill level.

Espy 08-27-2011 06:15 PM

Before I go and check out the links, here's my main problem: I can't scan stuff. Why? Because I have no other time to draw than during class, haha, and my parents would know I've been not paying attention...and...you know. Parents. -cough- Mine are slightly paranoid, I think.

Espy 08-27-2011 06:17 PM

Looking through your stuff...one, I assume you don't have a tablet? And two, even if you don't...or do...downloading GIMP or SAI might help you a lot.

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 06:17 PM

Oh that's just retarded. But my parents were kinda like that too. Only in different areas. So I get where you're coming from. -nods-

EDIT: I have a cheap old Wacom...Graphire I think? The pen is kinda broken but it does track xD;

I hated GIMP. SAI was pretty cool with their brushes but I dont' draw enough to justify buying it. So I'll use my old Jasc pain Shop Pro 9.

Espy 08-27-2011 06:27 PM

Er...there's a free English DL of SAI...it's a "trial" version, but you can keep downloading if it ever does expire. Or something. (I've also pirated PS because my dad isn't willing to fix my old one, but the program's got a few issues.)

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 06:39 PM

Because of how big the period of time is between my drawings that just means redownloading every time I wish to draw again though D: Thanks for letting me know about that though. Useful information if I was at all consistent ^^;

littl3chocobo 08-27-2011 08:39 PM

i don't keep my shops open, i usually let them die really fast(my current being an exception though a lot of what i sell was not avalible in shop until recently) though i am usually pretty good at finishing though sometimes not so fast

Jurinjo 08-27-2011 08:56 PM

I've seen you art being displayed around the forums plenty lately. I think you're doing a wonderful job actually. C:

littl3chocobo 08-27-2011 08:59 PM

nah, i have just freebies in the right places only half are commision^^

Saiyouri 08-29-2011 08:02 PM

╔═════════════════════════════════╗

(。◕‿◕。) I've had a few shops on different sites. I did decently on
Roli and Zantarni but I gave up on Zani
when I made 2 arts for someone and told
them they can pay just for one since the
other art I did didn't turn out that great
and they never paid for either of them or
just one like I said. After that I didn't
pay attention to the shop, at least I didn't
get business after that. I wanted to keep
my shops on Roli and Ernya opened up but
they just never did any business ; ; Even
though I wanted the work.

I took a couple days to do the art, well to
get to it and I finished it the day I started
it up but I wanted to get into a art mood
to draw. I would open up another one, but
I don't have a tablet with a pen right now
and I don't want to work hard setting up my
shop just to have it not do business again.
That would hurt too much again. I can't do
that to myself.

╚═════════════════════════════════╝

Poggio 08-29-2011 11:38 PM

None of my art shops have lasted ten post beyond my set up post.
My gaia/ernya shop, my style was not anime, not cgi, not popular.
Here I pretty much surf the request threads. I am starting to think there isn't enough user activity on this site to warrant having a shop.

Echo-chan713 08-30-2011 12:06 AM

My problem with mine is that it doesn't look good enough to sell them, I'm doing art for common items in my quest

littl3chocobo 08-30-2011 12:51 AM

my shops only thrive when they are popular, meaning i'll go days or weeks with no work then get like 8 or 10 at one time

Kylie 09-01-2011 01:42 PM

I love opening art shops. ^^; I love thread sets as well so when I open one I have to make it super flashy. lol

I try to keep all my art shops but if I don't, I let people know it's a temp art shop. So far I think my new art shop on here is doing good. -nods-

princeofrose 09-01-2011 04:25 PM

I love opening art shops specially with avis that I adore.

The only problem ist hat I am more motivated to draw avatars than my own stuff (like original characters and things like that)
I think the reason is becaue I am giving art to people and I make them happy.

The only problem is that I am terribly slow. I always think I have ltos of time during the sumer but then summer break ends to quickly and I have to go to school or something happens and I leave teh country etc etc.
So I thoguht I would finish all my commissions by now but i didn't and school already started so it sucks D:<
BUT I WILL STILL DO THEM
I am just slow. People have been nice about waiting patiently for them and always enjoy the outcome, but still I feel bad for makign them wait so long. School just kills me D:<

Also don't chicken out when it comes to art!
You actually get a lot of practice doing art commissions. Compared to when I first openend and art shop on gaia, I improved so much and ALL I did was commissions, I learned photoshop from doing commissions. If I show you what my first art looked like...oh boy..it was SO different lol XD

Jurinjo 09-02-2011 09:33 AM

ooh pleace show us! :D -jumps up and down excitedly-

littl3chocobo 09-02-2011 09:36 AM

haha, unlike prince i improved nothing, my first three years of commisions were in a totally different form^^: i only recently went back to my original style and my original hand hahahaha

princeofrose 09-04-2011 03:49 PM

well it actually takes years to find a style you actually like and stick with it. Mine continually changed until now-but I might change it again you never know :O

@ Jurinjo-what? My old art shop to see my old art compared to my new? Or my new art shop? (which is a temp so there are no art banners or anything cool XD just like one pic XD)

Echo-chan713 09-06-2011 03:52 AM

Mine is so different that I can't explain what type/style it is

Nolee Damness 05-16-2012 11:01 AM

Its good to try to be consistent with your artwork otherwise you might get some people that dislike you for not having the same kind of art they wanted from before. Art threads die out alot, but if your good enough your art will speak for its self. Ones art can bring in people even when the thread is dead.

pachi 05-16-2012 01:11 PM

I've had a few flop shops on Gaia, one was swamped with orders and I only got two done and some others I just didn't start. Sometimes I told myself I'd do them when I got better but that obviously didn't happen, haha.

I'm pretty good at keeping up with my Solia shop though, get lots of orders and I actually get them done.

Hero 05-28-2012 01:35 AM

I'm super timid about creating art shops anywhere
I feel like my art is definitely not up to par and there's a lot I can't draw x_x;

Cheshiresneer 05-28-2012 03:42 PM

I'm the same way and I could never figure out why...I opened an art shop on another site about three times, got orders and then either did one and freaked out or did one part and freaked out. x.x; I feel awful about it because it has nothing to do with the people and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I do however like art shops, I like the idea and I love to look at other people's art shops! :D I have no problem ordering something, I just have a problem doing it for someone else.

It doesn't overly surprise me, because as artist's we all have an insecurity, whether it's minor or overbearing. I feel like I'm no where near good enough to do art for people and I think that's what holds me back. Even though the last time I opened an art shop I had all slots filled and even people on a waiting list...I did the first one and just...couldn't bring myself to do it >.<