View Single Post
Honeydew

"You remind me of my little sisters asking questions. For winter break I do not have any plans though. I thought about going home again but I have yet to decide." While Fabio pulled on his hat he pulled on his pair of gloves, "And tonight I thought of that pub we end up frequenting even though the food is greasy and it is often full of drunk college kids at night. With finals approaching I believe that it will be less busy than it usually is." He felt the chill of the wintry breeze as snowflakes blew into the common room and at then, covering each of them with a light sprinkle of the delicate flakes before continuing into the world of snow. "Maybe we could do something over break."

He breathed in the fresh winter air, and as soon as the light hit his eyes he found himself squinting, not used to being outside in the middle of finals. The fresh air was a welcome change to the dust drummed up by his computers fan the the smell of text books. He was starting to feel like his old self again as they trudged through the snow. "If my aunt does not keep me in slave labor over the winter then sure. ... or you can come do work for her too. I usually get 600 dollars during break." By the time they reached the path towards the city, Fabio could not keep himself from wiggling excitedly. "As for the college kids... well tis the Friday before finals, the last hurrah! I am sure there are some that aren't melting there brains." He did not mention the fact that it was Karokee night in the infamous hot spot. The very same night he and Kavi first had dinner nearly 6 months go. He jumped a little, as his hands withdrew from his pocket and landed on Kavi's shoulders, urging the man to move faster.

"I don't recall if you ever actually told me what job your aunt offered you, what was it again?" It seemed his answer would have to wait as the impatient hands began to shove him along the snowy side-walks because their already brisk pace was not quick enough. "And just to clarify, if students are not melting their brains of studying for finals, they are melting them by drinking alcohol and partying." Much more quickly than he would have thought, they appeared at the bar they frequented so often. From the door you could hear shouts and loud conversations taking place, as well as the common white sound of a college campus, that being the clank of glasses. Swatting Fabio away, he began to push one of the swinging doors open before he spotted two students singing loudly on stage and he came to realize it was karokee night. Backing up he let the door close, "Let's try somewhere else."

There was no way he would let the introvert have his way, not with the allure of music and the call of a Philly cheese steak on the line. Twisting his fingers into the others he pulled the reluctant roommate into the crowded pub as cheers roared off and the crackle of pool balls consumed them. "What did you say Kavi? Can we try a different table?" He said as the door shut behind them and more people jostled in out of the cold sandwiching them with no escape. His grinned widened. "Awe come on Kavi, your favorite nook is open, it shouldn't be too loud there." Bouncing some what happily he continued to try and urge the other to their corner. A passing waitress made his stomach growl and he gave Kavi a pleading looking when the other had not moved far from the entrance despite his efforts. "Dude? No last hurrah?" He said looking rather like a dejected puppy.

Already he could see the hurt in the eyes, so practically portraying the puppy dog look he thought he might actually begin to cry. Petulantly, Kavi sighed deeply as his hand came to rub at his temples befoer he crossed the crowded floor to their booth off to the side where Fabio was eagerly awaiting. "Don't do that puppy-dog look anymore, we will stay under one condition," he held up a single finger as he slid onto one of the sides of the booth, "You won't drag me up there to sing karokee, not matter how much you want to."

"Dude its a deal." He said, twisting so he could see the fools on the stage. Happily Fabio bounced in his seat as a waitress came and asked them what they would have to drink, and pass out menus. In his vigor he ordered something dark frothy and imported for the both of them, promising to pay for the drafts himself as long as Kavi paid for the food, and that it would be just one pint. Once they got their drinks, Fabio felt it was time to confess. "I'm going to be a mail room clerk, delivering mail about an office, packages and stuff. Maybe a little data entry when they get overwhelmed with Christmas donations. My aunt works for one of those charities that like to give to children, and their busiest time is during Christmas." He said "We could always use another able body doing data entry and taking calls, or another mail boy so the old ladies will stop pinching my cheeks." Out of the pure memory Fabio reached up and rubbed his face.

Lifting the glass closer he gave a deep brew a sniff to find it just as rich smelling as domestic ales if not more so, and giving it a taste he found it tasting heavily of hops. "That does not sound as bad as you make it seem, I bet the old ladies are nice even if their fingers threaten to give you permanent dimples," Threateningly he pinched his fingers together at Fabio. "If you guys would really need the help I would be happy to oblige, assuming I wouldn't be intruding."

He thought about it, it would be exciting to have another body in his house for Christmas, let alone his roommate. However as thoughts of him and Kavi having fun poured in his head he wondered how the other would survive the winter, with his mother pushing meat into his face and if his family would miss him. A loopy smile never left his face as the cogs in his mind worked. How much did he really know his roommate. Before more of the second thoughts could pour into his head he spoke "I will tell you what." He said sipping along the edge of his cup giving himself foam facial hair. "Tell me what you are missing if you come stay with me I would feel bad if your lovely sisters had to come all the way down here to see you." He added with a growing grin at the very thought.

He had not gone the extra step Fabio always took for him in wiping away anything from his face, but instead he did offer a clean napkin for him to wipe off the mustache of drink foam. "Winter break is not all that long, everything I have in my suitcase would be enough for me to stay, if you mother would allow for me to do laundry while I stayed. Assuming I would not be putting her out by staying in the first place." He took another sip of his own drink to find himself with a layer of foam on his upper lip, and with the back of his hand he wiped it away. "I would not inconvenience my sisters to bring me things I already have."

Pinking slightly he refused the napkin and instead pinched the ends of his foam mustache as if in thought. "hmmm..." His thoughts amused him, "of course dude... though once my mom finds out you do chores she may pay you to clean the house. Dust the books, do the laundry, cook dinner." He said with a broad grin. He paused long enough to hear the introduction to the next song be badly done. At last he licked his upper lip before wiping it. "There is enough space in my bed as soon as I make space and move the books."

"A little bit of extra money from chores is never a bad thing, but with the way you make it sound with the sheer amount of books you have the task would seemingly last forever." He took another deep drink of his ale finding it to taste better than most any of the cheap beers he may or may not have tasted in the past. "And didn't you say there was a daybed or something like that when you invited me over for Thanksgiving?"

Fabio rejoiced in the idea of Kavi in a little maids outfit dusting his entire abode. With a devilish grin he took another sip from his brew this time accepting the cloth since the fuzz tickled his nose. He simply said no more about the piles of books waiting to be unearthed and instead turned the conversation to the impending topic that lead to arguments around the world, politics. It brought them to their forth round and the conversation some how back to Christmas. Fabio forked his unrecognizable meal. He was sure at once had something that was close to chicken Alfredo but now it was a giant swirl. Finding one of the white chunks he popped it into his mouth. "Do you even have an idea of what to get hottie mc hot hot this year?" He said foregoing the metal instrument and using his fingers.

He gave a shrug as he picked through the vegetarian nachos they'd gotten to split while waiting for their actual food, and finding a proper piece with a little bit of everything he took the bite. "I'm not really sure to be honest. I figure that if I am not visiting her this year I have time, but..." With almost a dejected look he looked into the empty bottom of his second glass as he drank the remainder and set it back down. "Things are feeling kind of strained between me and her, especially after her visit. I've met her parents before and stuff, but that visit was...I dunno, dude."

He nearly choked on a small bit of tomato at the words. If it had not been for the slight decrease in the normally stoic face, Fabio would not have believed him. Washing down the small speck that was lodged in his windpipe, he burrowed his brows in thought. The waitress came by with yet another round of drinks and an apology that their food had not arrived yet. When the brunette left he spoke. "It must be true what they say about long distance relationships." He plucked more of the appetizer off the plate. "I mean she is cute, a real take home to mom type but dude... she seems a bit, I dunno proud?" Fabio shook his head. "Not what I meant to say, but dude what drew you to her in the first place? And is it still there?"

He gave an agreeable shrug, "Proud is one word for it. She is very...hardheaded about what she likes and in order for you to have a say you have to have a valid argument. It gets tiring after awhile." He felt odd being so open to share, and he blamed the beers Fabio had bought, but the second opinion he was receiving made it almost worth talking about it. "When she and I first met she was really nice, maybe treading lightly, but now that she and I have known each other for awhile it is almost like she is showing her true self, and it is a lot more stubborn and proud then what she shared before."

"Dude I have a confession." He said after taking a long sip from his drink. "So I mean its not scientifically proven but I read some where that when people first met they change for the ones they love, and then after marriage once your tied down they go back to the way things were before they met you... no true facts." He thought about how else to put this. "I think i can be friends with hottie mc hot hot if I really tired but man, I thought you were rigid, shes like uh... ice. She some what of a book snob and a school snob and I would not want to be in her class parading around her fancy degree from MIT." Fabio Slurpee up some of the foam. His eyes drifted downwards to his cup realizing he was still bitter about her views on education. "Come on dude lets lighten up the mood." He said with a little laugh. .Taking Kavi by the arm, he dragged him to the song selection box. "Pick one!"

When Fabio spoke of GĂ©raldine's attitude of ice he could not help but snort into his beer and offer a good laugh, "You would not believe how icy she really is. She was on better behavior when she met you before Thanksgiving." Abandoning their beers even he could see that Fabio was a little rigid about something himself, but he said nothing as they were dragged away to the karokee machine. He had half a mind to deny and say no, but he could see he needed a break as much as his roommate needed to be cheered up. As he looked at the list of songs, however, none of them sounded recognizable. "None of these songs look familiar, you pick one."

It took him a while to browse through the songs. It was hardly any good duets in the lineup unless he and Kavi wished to sing to 80s music. Flipping through the selection he found one that made him happy. He felt like a kid and could not keep his body still as he gave the person running the machine their song selection. "Dude this is going to rock. I picked something different then girls just want to have fun." His head bobbed and turned into a grin that showed teeth as the guy singing before them got off the stage. They were handed the mic's and once they were on stage the opening riffs to the songs began to play.

The microphone smelled like stale chips and beer, and he was certain the person singing before him had eaten something greasy given the feeling of it. He did not say much as he saw Fabio let the DJ know what song, and when he got the shit-eating grin he was not sure if he should have really felt nervous about going on stage, or enjoy it as much as the other. As the music picked up and the rhythm filled the loud room of people half watching and half paying attention to their fellow classmates. Kavi found the song to be familiar enough that he knew he heard it before, but the words eluded him, and so having been provided on the screen he was able to sing along with his roommate. They shared the lead and the background throughout the song, and many moments of whistling, and he could all but feel their voices harmonized fairly well. Of course, he wasn't sure if that was his drunken self speaking or if it really happened, but he really did know that he enjoyed himself on stage.

They were amazing, or he was drunk, but it was fun and he did not care. As he put his arm around Kavi's shoulder and dragged him through the cheering crowd, he found their food had finally arrived though strangely he was not as hungry as he was before. "Dude... have you been holding out some amazing musical talent as well." He said. His fingers found a way to one of the fries and they looked strangely multicolored. He popped one in his mouth and munched on it. "Tell me Kavi what other magical abilities have you been hiding?"

Again he found himself laughing, amused even by the prospect the other thought he was anything except musically challenged. "I'm not hiding anything, but it seems like you are. I know you said you liked karokee, but I did not think you could sing like that." he playfully mimicked Fabio's light punch of the shoulder before he picked up his off-looking sandwich for a bite. It was much cheesier than he would have first thought a veggie burger to be, and the vegetable patty itself tasted much better than it should have. He indulged in another bite, wiping his face before he spoke again. "You know, tonight wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

The evening was excellent. He had enjoyed himself some good food, and even stole some of Kavis. He was stuffed like a duck and the world seemed to be a bit brighter with an evening of just venting. He paid for dinner despite his earlier groans that he was poor. Soon they would both be rich and spending winter inside his little abode. Somehow his arm found its way around Kavi's neck as they traveled through the streets back to the dorm. He moved happily in the snow covered streets eventually breaking away as they entered the schools grounds to pluck some of the snow, roll it into a ball and throw it at Kavi.

He was caught in the side of the head with the soft ball of snow, the fluffy snow breaking apart the second it touched him. The icy flakes dusted his dark hair and coat, as well as a few pieces slipping beneath his collar to give him the chills. With gloved hands he brushed his shoulders to rid of the snow sticking to him, before he squatted down to scoop up his own handful of snow to throw it at his flush-faced roommate with a grin.

He laughed at the unusually white haired Kavi and it wasn't until his own face became splattered with flakes that he paused and resumed his attack. It soon turned into a game of dodging and throwing as he waved around the area hiding from Kavi. Fabio grinned plucking up a large pile of snow for his final attack, ran clumsily dumping it all on Kavi before tackling him. They fell into a snow bank that had piled up under a tree. Fabio let his hands find Kavi's weakness under his jacket as his grin turned playfully malicious. He let his fingers rub the sensitive sides furiously, pinning the body under his in laughs.
Old Posted 03-01-2013, 12:52 AM Reply With Quote