View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #39  
Qi watched Ilan setting up some sort of a machine in a druggish haze. She knew he was working on something, maybe even something important, but she was too high to care. She could almost smile at the man as he promised her love and happiness. Could he give those things though? Would he be able to break through the protective barriers she'd put up in self defense? Could she let him?

In her flying stupor, she didn't notice Ilan getting closer with the machine's six-legged appendage and gasped when it made contact with her. First, it was cold, then warm as the machine tuned up and Qi turned down, falling backward in her seat, irises white and blank as the space that she now found herself in.

The room was white, her footfalls made no sound and she felt that if she opened her mouth to scream no sound would come. Her heart caught in her chest. If ever there was such a thing as nothing. This was it. When Ilan appeared, she could feel her heart stop pounding in her ears and waves of relief washed over her. This wasn't some sick joke after all. He was joining her in whatever adventure he had up his sleeve next. Then the words appeared. This was some sort of virtual reality thing that she'd heard about but had never seen. She watched as Ilan's own words manifested visibly and when he accepted, she followed suit.

The world they entered was one unlike any Qi had ever seen before. Technically, this was her first time off the planet, and in a non-technical sense, her first time on another planet. The scenery was beautiful, and that familiar feeling of humidity washed over her. Though silent, she was obviously in bliss, simply taking in all of the new sights, the new sounds. The frogs croaking and the birds singing were all around them, and they were completely enveloped in nature. She took the rod in her hand and examined it. It was, to put it lightly, much better than any of those she'd known on her home planet. “Really? I can keep this?” Qi asked, breaking her silence that she didn't realize she'd been carrying on, “It's...it's nice. Is it only here in this world?” She tilted her head, and she knew now with certainty that everything she thought she imagined sharing with him she actually had. Those few words she'd uttered were unneeded. He'd seen everything.

=-=

Marco was thankful that now, at least, someone was planning on tending to his wounds. The pain was searing, but he calmed his body down to allow him to be guided wherever it was the twins were taking him – likely right back to the ship he'd been hoping to escape at some point. But they would fix him, and the circumstances showed that he had a good reason to run, so as far as he was concerned, pirate life was in his future. He just didn't know if he was cut out for it.

Damon shook his head and Roek answered, “Nah miss, but we do 'ave an excellent mechanic that may be able t'get ye set up nice an' proper.” As they answered, however, they didn't stop to turn to face her. She had regeneration, there was no way in hell anything could ever could her. At least, anything on this planet. They kept with the process of getting him to the ship until finally they reached the gangplank and walked Marco overboard.

“OI.” Damon shouted, “Get the medic out 'ere! Newest recruit's been poisoned!” As if in answer, Marco let out an involuntary groan and the medic popped his head out and rolled his eyes.

“He's not part of the crew yet is he? Not my problem,” he said, now coming through the doorway with his arms folded. He was a tall man, lean, like one who didn't get out and see the sun often, and his eyes were locked on the wounded. “But, because you two are the two on the ship I least want to make enemies with, I suppose I will have a look at him. On the eyes is it? Get me water. Cold. Now. And a rag, a clean one if you will.”

The twins made themselves scarce there, pretty much running to fulfill the man's request.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 05-19-2018, 03:44 PM Reply With Quote