View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #33  
Hell
Olivia's brow creased, worried that she'd offended her only friend and she quickly put a comforting hand on his shoulder, her eyes begging forgiveness. She pulled away only to sign It isn't a no. Not even close. I just will want to wait a little before submitting my change of address forms, okay? She did not want to chase away her only friend. And besides, she was already dead, she knew no one else in Hell (she assumed those that she knew that died most likely wound up in Heaven), and this guy was really cute. Then, she always had a thing for gingers.

Olivia watched his hands and she nodded to show her understanding, signing back Well, if I have your help, I'm sure I'll do just fine! You've been here since the mid-1800's. You have to be doing something right, am I right? She paused for a moment, fiddling with the trinket she'd been given. She was told that it granted her an insane amount of power and that if she hunted that power would grow. When she was handed that shitty hand-me-down book, she devoured it. It provided something outside of the silence, and it recommended traveling in groups. Having a partner was a good start, but she didn't know how big the groups generally were, Do you hunt with others too?

Axle looked from her eyes down to the small pile of crinkled bills and his eye twitched, his pierced lip curling up in disgust. “Yeah. No.” He finally said, pushing the small pile of beginner's money toward the woman, “You're not gonna get jack shit with that. I'll get you your phone and the drink's on the house. Didn't realize you were that new. Shit. No matter. We all were at one point, right? Besides, a week from now, they're gonna think you've been dead for a century.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-19-2018, 12:10 AM Reply With Quote