View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #33  
Chidi tried to hide her surprise at n actual answer that wasn't laced with sarcasm. Perhaps there was a person behind the monster, but she'd learned early in her life to not drop her guard too easily. “So you're a true-to-life bard then, eh? Not exactly the ones I've heard pleasant stories about, but the magic is there. Color me impressed,” Chidi said, raising her arms lacing her fingers behind her head and closing her eyes. “I've heard the name, but I confess, I've never been out of the capital. At least, not in any of my clear memories. This is definitely going to be a learning experience for me. I guess I'll just be seeing it as I'm serving you.”

Chidi sighed, the sarcasm back with a vengeance as though there was a need for it to be doubled for every sentence it was absent. She answered with a rolling of the eyes when the bard's eyes weren't on her and chose to respond instead to the last part. “Well, you are certainly beautiful...” she conceded under her breath, adding in a normal tone a question, “Is that how you'd like me to address you?”

For the first time since meeting Tritonia, she actually smiled, a genuine smile, “Of all of the things you've told me, I find that to be the least believable. You don't strike me as one to want to serve anyone, let alone be tied down to one place. Though, I'll be glad for one less task that's on my list of things to do.” Chidi shrugged, still comfortable while still in the capital. The familiar streets were fading to less familiar streets as they progressed, however, and she knew that it wouldn't be very long before they were in the rural surrounding area. She felt wholly unprepared, given that she'd a.) never been out of the capital and b.) she had nothing required for multiple days out in the wild. The good feeling of jest dissipated with the mention of Nanika. She was going to miss her dearly and this woman was talking about lopping off one of her hands. She decided to not reward her with a proper response asking instead, “So, do you have any jobs lined up for the immediate future?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 10-08-2018, 03:18 AM Reply With Quote