View Single Post
CHEEZBURGER?!
Default First Paragraphs   #1  
Hello~! :p

It hasn't been too long since I've decided to pick up my pen (or keyboard, in my case) and begin writing things. Story things. Like the ones you could actually purchase at a store -- or rather, that's the goal I like to keep. I've begun reading a book (a very interesting book called Worlds of Wonder - How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy, by David Gerrold) and it has taught me so much so far. I've almost finished reading; but, that doesn't mean I'm all confidence now. Not at all, in fact, I'm actually very insecure about my writing. >.>;
That's why I'm gonna jump in head first and see what you people have to say about what little things I put out! It's no use expecting to become a better writer if I never receive critiques of any sort, so here goes.

This is only the first paragraph of what I might turn into a story, but I'd be afraid to actually promise something.
INDIGO

The woods called and she had decided. She set one foot in the tall strands, then another. Everybody in the village had forbade her to do what she was about to, but there she was - indulging her curiosity. As if mesmerized by the scenery, she looked around. She had not set two steps away from the outskirts of the village and already her surroundings seemed to change around her.

Thick bushes stood haphazardly in what looked like an endless sea of lush grass, surrounded by smaller bushes not unlike the foam around the rocks on a beach. Twilight began to set in and the orange sky made everything seem as if this were one of her very vivid dreams. Off in the distance, impressive mountains proudly displayed their peaks and large birds flew about them; she heard little other than the gentle breeze straddling the leaves.

The heat of the summer sun made all of the shrubbery around her smell sweet. A small walk back, in the grain fields near the village, she could here her friends laughing occasionally. A gust of wind made her hair tickle in her face. She took it as her cue to press on and muster all of her courage.

She couldn't turn back now, she had to know if it was real! Standing as tall as her small frame possibly could she stepped forward. Then, she took another. Filled with determination, she kept wading through the grassy fields until twilight had finally set in completely. The village elder had told her around the camp-fire, together with all her friends, about the realm with the indigo skies; she took another step, expectantly.
Step.

The air around her rippled abruptly and the sky's orange hue swiftly turned into a deep purple, completely dousing everything around her in it's luminosity and transforming the very landscape she had so suddenly become a part of. Like the waves caused by a pebble in a pond, the bushes coiled strangely around themselves, entire hills became dales, and when she looked back to see what was happening behind her she found a solid-looking, mossy cobblestone wall towering high over her. It seemed very out of place in a jungle like this. The sound of the rustling of leaves exchanged themselves for the distant chirping of crickets.

The air became heavy and she felt dizzy for a spell, but she couldn't care about such trivial things. She had found it, the land of magic was hers to explore!
Please let me know how you feel about it? Should I continue? If so, perhaps it's a nice idea to write it together, as in, I'll take your input and stuff. It might be good practice that way, too!
Last edited by Bafflebox; 12-18-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Adjustments to the paragraph
Old Posted 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM Reply With Quote