View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Aren stuck to slicing up the more solid samples, the pieces that wouldn't release the spores. Those, he kept tightly sealed. He'd finally made it out of the walls and he wasn't about to muss up his chance by infecting his guide and himself. He stayed hunched over, taking a scalpel carefully to a stalk, slicing it into impossibly thin slices before pressing it between two small pieces of glass. “Y'know, I can help with that. Can pick up a white board and markers and I can teach him to read. That way you're not risking your neck for free. Y'know, service for service.”

When he was done creating the slides, he pulled out his own cans of food. Ravioli today. Cold ravioli. But it was fine either way, and when he was finished with all of the pasta, he scooped out the sauce and ate that too, knowing that one couldn't really afford to waste anything outside of the walls. He didn't complain about the lack of a fire. He knew better.

=-=-=-=-=

Aren slept fitfully, but the scenes playing out behind his eyelids were ones that never escaped his lips. The rest he got was going to be no different than what he'd be getting in the city regardless. He didn't grumble when he was woken to take his turn; he simply grabbed his gun and nodded to his companion. While the infected were active at all times, they were particularly lethal at night, and he understood the importance of silence. His watch was silent, save for the troubles Ian had in his sleep.

He made it to Ian's side, his brow furrowed with worry when Ian sat upright, and he placed his hand on Ian's shoulder, “You alright, man? You were tossin' in your sleep.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-04-2018, 10:08 PM Reply With Quote