View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Aren made it to the roof armed to the teeth with the written word and out of breath; he'd sprinted after cleaning off. He knew he was late, but teaching on a hungry stomach didn't sound like much fun for either party. Bracing himself with his hands on his knees he wheezed, “Didn't.. want...you to...think that...I forgot about you.”

After taking a moment to regain his breath, he pulled out a chalkboard with a box of new chalk. These were other treats his brother brought back for him, back when Aren was still a kid just learning to read and a couple of children's books. “So Tristan,” Aren said straightening and handing over the easiest of the books, “Your brother tells me you're in need of a teacher.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-07-2018, 02:36 AM Reply With Quote