View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
The party, not expecting Wisp to actually hurry had to jog to catch up to the dark mage. This was the first time Kastivi was seeing town in the daylight and she looked around taking in the sights. It was a pale day, clouds preventing all but glimpses of the sun's rays, still being low in the sky. The early morning mist still hung over the town and most houses were still locked against the night, its inhabitants not yet stirring. Kastivi put a hand to her hair, dismayed at the effect the moisture had, her hair springing to life.

Arabella had seen this place dozens of times, and was for not the last time grateful to be leaving its borders. However, there was a spring in her step, with her favorite weather guiding her path with a distinct lack of extra weights on her back or on her ankles. She paid the bodies no mind, save for the fleeting thought of wondering how many of those condemned were actually innocent of the crimes they paid for. “It's a good day for travel,” she mused out loud, reveling in the nice chill the mist left on her skin. The colder days meant the bodies smelled less, so that was yet another benefit.

“Travel, yes. Traveling out of this hell-hole,” Percival muttered, scratching his beard. “That uh, thing that Deadwaltz said earlier? I didn't – ah, I didn't. I was never more flaccid in my life.” He was still bitter at Deadwaltz for bringing up things he thought would die in time. But then, he'd never imagined traveling with Deadwaltz again.

“Thank you for that valuable information, Percival,” Arabella said, laughing. “Kastivi, pick up your feet more, you'll wear the soles of your shoes down dragging them like that.”

Kastivi sighed, but did as she was told. It was for the better anyway. She would get more benefit from the weights lifting her feet than not, and Ara was right (as usual) about the soles of her shoes. She'd taken to following along behind the group, half hoping that Christoval would do the same, but knowing that he'd more than likely linger close to his master, and therefore the healer. He seemed to enjoy having someone as cynical as himself around, and Kastivi expected he would be striking more conversations with Wisp than she, Ara, or Christoval. “Uhm, Wisp? Should you be messing with the dead like that? Isn't it ah...”

“Of course she should,” Percival said, drawing his cloak closer about him, “She uses dark magic. The rest of us folk, just...we shouldn't question. She could very well be communicating with them for all we know. Dark magic is...well, it works in mysterious ways.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote