View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #25  
“It wasn't that simple,” Emily said sadly, “He travels with a group, and horses. If we managed to trap him, we'd only really be able to trap his horse and he'd walk free. Besides. I'm not the engineer, and I don't think Victor was either. That's Yoruba, and I thought he was gone by the time she came back around.” Emily's green eyes searched the ground as if looking for answers. She knew she should have just shot him then, right between the eyes, but he was surrounded by his cronies. They were outnumbered and outgunned. Traps wouldn't have fixed it regardless of how quickly Anna felt she could have dealt with him.

“He was insane before, but this? This is worse. Before he would have said something snarky before trying at least.” Emily reached over to pat Max's belly to remind him that she was still here, even if Victor couldn't be. “I can follow trails just fine, thank you.'

She looked ahead, grateful, at least, that they didn't belong to some settlement. The settlements she'd seen were relics of an ancient time where racism and sexism were both alive and well, despite the fact that all of humanity had much larger problems that should be paid attention to first. “Overstocking is the goal,” Emily said, sliding into the river, “I suppose this will work just fine. I wonder how Yoruba's doing with her projects.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-21-2018, 08:20 PM Reply With Quote