View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #27  
Emily was silent for a moment, following Anna's lead in setting her own secondary trap, in case any of the wandering deer were in a herd. “My relationship with Victor? It was happy, mostly, up until the end,” as she spoke, Emily seemed to be in a different world, looking back at better times, “I...I did, but things got complicated.Really complicated. Before the Reckoning, Yoruba was my girlfriend. Shit happened and we broke up. It was just before the Reckoning, so of course those feelings for her hadn't yet died, but feelings for Victor were already there and growing. I didn't want to choose, so I just...I guess I just chose neither.” She bowed her head, eyes sad and wistful, as though her not making a decision was what ultimately lead to Victor's death. The notion was preposterous, of course, but she couldn't help but wonder if there was some sort of butterfly effect that could have kept him alive if things had even been just a little different.

“I've always loved fish, even before the Reckoning when that was the only thing in ready abundance. Sushi was my favorite,” Emily said, dreaming of the rice and seaweed, soysauce there, but hardly touched. Her eyes went over to where they'd laid the traps and she sighed, “There's a couple of possibilities I suppose. One, we're being too loud. The other...something has scared them out of this area. Let's pray it's not the latter.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-24-2018, 09:13 PM Reply With Quote