Thread: Study Japanese
View Single Post
One Fish
Oh so sorry for not being here! I think it's long overdue for another little lesson no? (fyi the quiz-type item - the first link - I will post up is a review on the old and a practice of using adjectives and this will also include translating (do not worry - in both hiragana and romaji))

So for today's lesson we will be showing how to say it isn't, was, and wasn't (using desu). AND IT WILL BE LONG FORM! aka formal.

THIS IS USING NOUNS FOR B!! BIG NOTE - IF USING I-ADJECTIVES IT CHANGES!! THIS WILL BE COVERED IN THE NEXT INSTALLMENT!

Pt 1!!! - Past Affirmative (aka past tense)
PrAf: AはBです。 A wa B desu. (present affirmative AKA present tense)
PaAf: AはBでした。 A wa B deshita. (Past affirmative)

You see what I changed? The ending.. Well for the sake of this I will call it a 'verb' even though it really isn't, Changed~ So to make a regular sentence past you change it from です(desu) To でした(deshita)。

Pt2!!! - Present Negative (aka negative)
PrAf: AはBです。A wa B desu.
PrNe: AはBじゃないです。 A wa B ja nai desu.
PrNe2: AはBじゃありません。 A wa B ja arimasen.

In order to change a positive simple sentence to negative you simply add じゃない(ja nai) after the noun in position B. If you put it where A is (before the は)not only does it sound funny but it isn't correct either.

Option 2: In this option you change the です(desu) to あります(arimasu). That is the verb to be (inanimate objects) and to have (not the same as to own though). And then we change the あります(arimasu) to ありません(arimasen). This will make it negative. You also make sure there is a じゃ(ja) following the noun.

Pt3!!! - Past Negative (no aka)
PrAf: AはBです。 A wa B desu.
PaNe: AはBじゃなかったです。 A wa B ja nakatta desu.
PaNe2: AはBじゃありませんでした。 A wa B ja arimasen deshita.

So ask you can see the じゃない (ja nai) became じゃなかった(ja nakatta)。 Do you see the difference? If not, the ending い(i) of the じゃない(ja nai) became かった(katta). Now that is using the first option as shown in pt 2 as well.

Option 2: We take the じゃありません(ja arimasen) and combine it with the past affirmative that was shown in part 1. So you take present negative + past affirmative and you get past negative!

For you ease this is how it lines up using the example This is paper (And all of it subsequent forms)

これはかみです。 Kore wa kami desu.
This is paper.
これはかみでした。 Kore wa kami deshita.
This was paper.
これはかみじゃないです・これはかみじゃありません。 Kore wa kami ja nai desu/ja arimasen.
This is not paper.
これはかみじゃなかったです・これはかみじゃありませんでした。 Kore wa ja nakatta desu/ja arimasen deshita.
This was not paper.

EDIT: So I will post up two things later tonight - 1 will be a homework type thing over this. The other will be a mini quiz of last weeks stuff. I will try to put doing this stuff weekly into my calendar ok? Then maybe we can get a weekly quiz (or daily if you want. We have 2 daily quizzes in my class) and a homework type thing that I do more often and it's a lot more simple. And maybe a monthly test?

Of course romaji, hiragana/romaji, and hiragana only would be available. What do you all think?
Last edited by shinkamalei; 05-09-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote