View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #9  
Raphael, despite his intimidating appearance, was quite happy. Easy to please and easy to smile, the man was laid back and simply happy to be alive. He was smiling now as he poured the blondish haired man his drink and mixed the eccentric woman hers, “Well, as you can see, at the moment it kind of sucks, you know? I've gotta split the tips of three customers with my coworker. Night's young though. We might pick up later. The rush isn't due for another couple hours, so I suppose I can keep my hopes up, yeah?” Once the drinks were mixed and placed in front of the respective customers, he picked up his own and sipped from it. He knew the rules. No getting drunk while on shift, but if he sipped, he couldn't very well get drunk, now could he? “Actually, recently, it's been picking up. A lot of new faces in town it seems, yours included. My name is Raphael, Ms. Beyha. You can call me Raff; everyone else does. Ehm, except Seth,” he said

Seth barely paid attention to the patron he served. As far as he was concerned, his job stopped once the drink was served, and so long as liquid was in its receptacle, his job was put on pause. Without saying a word, he picked up an ashtray and stepped out from behind the bar and made his way to the woman who shared his species, setting the ashtray down. “You can smoke in here, but try not to ash on the floor. My name here is Seth. If you're here to observe, I'm afraid there's little to nothing to look at, except for maybe my idiot coworker.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-14-2018, 04:26 PM Reply With Quote