Not Logged In
View Poll Results: Are you?
Self Studying 41 68.33%
School Taught 17 28.33%
Native Speaker 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Developer
Default   #1889  
Psst. DK, when you have a word that contains n+ni or n+na, you have to press n three times or else it ends up as n+i / n+a. Try こんにちは、みんな.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
I was thinking I /might/ call out on Saturday if they have me working a full shift on Sunday. Say I got the flu or something. We'll see what my schedule is like next week.

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1891  
I went to a ramen shop for dinner tonight and they brought me the wrong meal. The little old Japanese woman I spoke to was very apologetic about it. I offered to buy the extra meal and eat it myself. She kept wanting to make sure I was sure, but I said I'd give the other meal to my wife.

Anyway, when she brought me the other meal and I paid for it, she of course thanked me for my patronage by saying 「ありがとうございます」(thank you); I replied with 「ありがとうございます」as well. She just smiled at me, probably thinking I just happened to know the one phrase, but then I said 「本当にすみません」(I'm very sorry) and she stared at me for a moment before saying (very fast) 「日本語をしゃべてる?」("You can speak Japanese?") as well as some more that I understood but can't remember because she was talking too fast. I could only reply 「んん、うん、学生だけ」(Mm, yeah, but I'm just a student).

She laughed and thanked me again, and I left with my food, but that's apparently what happens when you look American but speak Japanese.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 12:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
XD When I was in Japan, I was buying some headache medicine, and I shyly went up to the pharmacist and was like "あの。。。頭が痛いの薬。。。?(Um...Headache medicine?)" she just nodded, found it for me, and I got some. And while I'm paying, she goes on, talking terribly fast, about like, how much to take, how often to take it, what to do and not to do when you take it, and if I feel funny to call someone. XD I just thought it was funny that my Japanese was clearly terrible and she was talking so fast still like I'd understand her. Although, actually, I did catch almost everything she said, thankfully. >3<

LoL I am always shy with speaking because, especially here in the U.S. if you say anything in Japanese to a Japanese person, they're always like "oh my god your Japanese is so good!" and it makes me terribly terribly shy cause then I'm terrified of messing up. XD

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #1893  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Psst. DK, when you have a word that contains n+ni or n+na, you have to press n three times or else it ends up as n+i / n+a. Try こんにちは、みんな.
3 times? D; not 2?

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The input method interprets "nn" as representing ん, because otherwise it'd get confused about whether "ni" means んい or に. Unfortunately, this means that to get んに you have to type "nnni".

If it's easier to remember, you can also type n' to get ん, so "kon'nichiha" will produce こんにちは.

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #1895  
ono what a weird way of doing such things

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
v.v

~sigh~
おはよう〜
Morning~

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #1897  
だいじょうぶですか

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
うん、疲れている。。。明日、バイトに行きたくない。支店長と午前八時から午後四時までバイトをする。私の 支店長がちょう怖い。。。x.x

うん、つかれている。。。あした、バイトにいきたくない。してんちょうとごぜんはちじからごごよじまでバイ トをする。あたしのしてんちょうがちょうこわい。x.x

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #1899  
I'm... I'm so stupidly jealous that it makes me sick right now. x.x'

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
うらやましいの?どうして?

Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #1901  
たぶん、十二月にあたしの友達は東京に行く。あたしは東京にちょう帰りたい。。。

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
正しく言ったよ。

ただしくいったよ。

... well, almost correctly; "tabun" should probably have gone later in the sentence, probably before 東京.

Old Posted 11-21-2012, 02:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #1903  
ah, they like, barely covered where to use Tabun and such, so I figured it's better safe to put it at the beginning. XD I do that with my time phrases, too...

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 02:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
You should put it as close to the concept as possible. Where you have it now, it sounds like your friend is going to Tokyo, probably in December; what you meant is that in December, your friend is probably going to Tokyo.

Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM Reply With Quote