Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The Dragon Reborn
Default Diablo 3 Boycott   #1  
Recently Blizzard has announced some features for Diablo 3. One of these features is an auction house where players can sell and buy in game items for real money. This is an atrocious decision that will undoubtedly ruin the game.
There is a boycott of the game going around, so please join in and do your part. Do NOT buy this game until this feature is removed. It can only spell disaster for a game that had so much going for it.
Last edited by Tarrek; 08-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Posted 08-03-2011, 12:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I have not read about this, and I'm not sure what it would mean. On one hand it will regulate what would happen anyways, as people buy/sell in-game items for real money all the time in other games. On the other hand though, it just encourages people to actually DO it.

I don't know about boycotting the game, as I will undoubtedly be too poor to buy it anyways when it comes out, but I will certainly try to read more about this aspect of the game.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-03-2011, 01:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Toyota
Default   #3  
Yeah Blizzard has gotten there head's up there asses with this game. Every time I hear more things about D3.. it makes me think its going to be worse and worse. I still play Diablo 2. and they an AWESOME job with that game. It is simple, yet addicting and fast paste. I wish they would just do something like this for D3.. And I really hate how they want to sell items for real money on there.. That's ridiculous. I don't think I will be buying this game.. They have had talk about this game for 5 years now too.. Also I absolutely WILL NOT buy it, if they make you pay to play. No e'f that.
Old Posted 08-03-2011, 02:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Professional Monster Hunter
Well playing devils advocate for a second. In Diablo 2 Item selling was HUGE. Because of ladder and how ridiculous the drops were. All i see is them Regulating it within their own game rather than having over sites need to access your account to place them in your storage. This allows it to still happen and also allow games who love Diablo to even set up a small business of sorts over all i see it good. Yes now it seems bad BUT the Micro Transaction Gaming Structure is the Future many experts say this if you watch this video Micro Transactions Video
This is seems like the same ideal BUT the Players are the ones befitting. I for one will be buying the game i would like to see how it will work before demonizing it.

PS: Though if its Pay 2 Play like wow i shall continue to play D2 but with Starcraft 2 Free to play i think they will make it D3 Free to play as well
Old Posted 08-03-2011, 07:23 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #5  
I don't play online games, in no small part becasue of the cost. It's possible that with an item auction option in the game, monthly online costs might be a little smaller, if Diablo follows that pattern. I'm not really familiar with the Diablo set-up, having not played it since D1, but I know that games all over the place are doing things with real money, I would expect to see it more often in the future.

What would really suck is if the items buyable for real money were superior to those in game, basically makinga large power gap between money and non-money players. I hate that sort of thing.
Old Posted 08-04-2011, 02:12 AM Reply With Quote  
This is true if they make it mainly money there will be a power gap but then again in D2 people bought items all the time from websites. That's why I'm shooting for an exchange rate between money and in game money regulated by Blizzard. All i see is blizzard testing the micro transaction waters in a new way.
Old Posted 08-04-2011, 02:20 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
I understand the selling part. My brother sold his character when he left the game fro three digits of real money. Surprised me quite a bit, and I remember the comments about game money sales on ebay, exchanging game money for real money so that people could build castles and the like.
Old Posted 08-04-2011, 02:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Yes and that why i see this as a good thing from my point of veiw. Blizzard has had the Gold sellers in wow for quite some time. But because of them people get their accounts hacked. With blizzard regulating and controlling it i think it could do some real good limiting the hacking and allowing players to make a business of gaming which if i might add many people who play games a lot want to do.
Old Posted 08-04-2011, 02:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #9  
I think the main thing to remember is that Blizzard themselves will only be regulating the sales and not selling anything. It's all player to player transactions. I still say since it will happen anyways it's probably better to go this way. If it's "legal" I think it might actually happen a little less than if it was not regulated this way.

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-05-2011, 11:57 PM Reply With Quote  
This exactly what i thought. its means everything will be going to the player profits and all.
Old Posted 08-06-2011, 05:24 AM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #11  
Selling in game items for... in game currency?
Why do people think that this means you'll be spending real money for items?
An auction house is a good idea, it will make it easier to find and sell items instead of just searching through channels to find who is selling or buying an item. This will also make in game currency actually worth more. I remember playing D2, can the gold was nearly worthless when trading, especially with better drops.

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

♔ Trisphee's one and only Vampire Prince ♔
Currently working on "Dream World Is Mine" art.
Let me catch you in my Dark Void...

Last edited by Alexander Linden; 08-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Alex, there's an option to use real money in the auction house. At least, that's what all the press releases are saying.

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #13  
An OPTION to use real money is not the same as actually using real money. There will be plenty of free users playing that will likely be offering things for in game currency. I don't see why this is really a problem?

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

Old Posted 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I don't think it's a problem myself. I just will be unlikely to afford the game when it comes out :p

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #15  
I may end up waiting a bit before I get the game myself, due to my financial situation, but I've been waiting for this game for so many years, I'll be really excited when it's finally released.

Old Posted 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
╔═════════════════════════════════╗

(。◕‿◕。) If there is an option for game currency then I think this
is a good idea. So many games out there
have problems with hackers and gil sellers
(or gold currency equilivant) and this way
the company can try to control that problem
while working on something else instead of
having to deal with this issue again like
the have to do with other games of theirs.
I actually like this idea, I don't play
Diablo or have really any knowledge about
it but I do play other games where in game
items and currency are sold for real money
and that is a huge problem in game. It causes
people to get screwed over by these illegal
sellers and having to contend with them. I
know this first hand. As I have played Final
Fantasy XI where there is a huge gil seller
problem and Enix has been trying to deal with
it this entire time but it's not going any
or getting any better for actual players to