Not Logged In
View Poll Results: Are you?
Self Studying 41 68.33%
School Taught 17 28.33%
Native Speaker 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #353  
Guys.. remember to add your translations somewhere in your post... Please?

Don't just give out sites that translates the stuff.. ._.

This isn't just the rule for this thread.. its everywhere in the site and forum rules ._.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
There's this guy in my Japanese class who lived in Japan for two years for a mission, and he insists on talking to me in Japanese, and I just stare at him blankly. It's like, I appreciate the attempt but your accent sucks, you're talking casually, you talk too fast, and I don't care to look like a retard right now trying to stammer together a sentence reply for you. x.x'

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #355  
Especially when they have an accent that destroys the language (such as talking Spanish in a French accent)

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 03-24-2011, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
I don't know wtf accent he's trying to use but it's bad. And he's hard to understand.

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 03-25-2011, 12:03 AM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #357  
British accent?

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 03-25-2011, 12:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
no, it's just a fake japanese accent.

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 03-25-2011, 03:01 AM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Default   #359  
It's a fake japanese accent? That is kinna disrespectful yeah? And have you told him you don't wish to speak at the moment? cause he should totally oblige you. ^^
Old Posted 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Yeah, a lot of people studied the vocab she gave us, and it's a good idea to look it over, but it's smarter to just memorize the readings instead, I found. I did a lot better on my test than I thought I would because I did it that way. I only missed anything because A) I didn't understand the sentence and B) I couldn't remember the readings. XD

I had a kanji book, so I was able to get all the readings, and she gave them all to us as well. Unfortunately, with our tests, in our Kanji class it's retarded cause we get sentences with vocab and structures we've never encountered before and half of them also seem to be in casual speech so it's really hard to use context clues. @_@'
I see. I just bought a new kanji book. I need to brush up before the end of this year's JLPT. I wanna ROCK it. Anyways, it sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I might tyr it out. Along with anki.

Ohhhhh. Yeah see my teacher will only give us sentences and the structures that she has already taught. Along with kanji she has taught with both readings. I think it's stupid to try ti the other way. It's not as effective since you won't know the sentences.
Old Posted 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #361  
Exactly. Except she's trying to prepare us for the kanji kentei (is that what it is?) exam, and... yeah they don't have only sentence structures we know. x.x' But it doesn't help us actual learn the usage and vocab of the words/kanji any since we can't quite understand what's being said in the first place.

And... well, it's more of an 'attempting to sound Japanese' accent. Like I said, he lived there two years. He just kinda... fails at the accent x.x'

And Shink, learn all the readings, yes, but I'd also learn probably some of the more common words or whatever made with some of them. Obviously not all of those, but maybe a couple, especially the ones with more readings. It's harder to memorize but it'll be more helpful with narrowing down which reading goes to which word then I'd think. >3<

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 03-26-2011, 03:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
booya! Studying totally pays off and I no longer hate kanji quite as much. Still sort of a pain, but... like, I got an A on my kanji quiz and I realized that it's not so hard to study. A lot of memorization and I'm not too horrid at that. >3<' So ya. I'm excited.

Someone should type me up a kanji list to study over the summer ^_~

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 03-30-2011, 03:13 AM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #363  
Has anyone tried Heisig's, Remember the Kanji book? I've been thinking about asking for it for my birthday, but I'm not sure. Is it helpful?

And I know a guy who acts like he knows so much Japanese, but really he doesn't. He just knows a few advanced kanji. Yet, my vocabulary is bigger (it's not even that great!) and I can put together sentences easier. Still, he acts like he knows so much! And my japanese friend says his accent is so American. xD
Old Posted 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
I have no idea what the kentei is. I myself am preparing for JLPT level 3 hopefully at the end of this year. I only am college level 100 though... which is like level 5 barely. But since I saw you got an A, I think you probably have nothing to worry about. Sorry this took so long. I had a huge like.. 5 paragraph response and then my comp closed it =A= so I got discouraged. Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS! =D

And well then he is stupid. lol

Well that is why it is good to have kanji books. They often give you a couple common ones. Plus I also have JLPT and a several other apps on my ipod now that have tons of kanji and common readings. Plus common vocabulary.

And maybe we should do a weekly 5 kanji?

@sushi:
I have never heard of heisig's. I personally like http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Pict-Gra...f=cm_lmf_tit_4
and then one I can't find on amazon. But I currently own one that is both a practice book and a vocabulary book.

And those kinds of guys are not respected. And that's also when you put him in his place and speak in japanese to him. Even if yours is rusty and it's slow. He won't understand and it will make him a fool. I personally think people who are learning you don't do it too but if people get a high and mighty attitude about it when they really don't know anything, teach em a lesson. Once. No need do it again because then a) you look like a douchebag and b) they already know that you can prove them wrong. So they will probably avoid you.
Old Posted 04-05-2011, 12:00 AM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Default   #365  
So, I thought I would post up a little about particles before I post up my newest document.

First particle that I think is one of the most important (I will only do 3 at this moment) is....

は Pronounced 'wa' when used as a particle, 'ha' in normal usage.

This is the subject particle. There is also a topic particle but I will touch on that a little later. は is used when you want something to be the subject. IE これ本です。 Kore wa hon desu. これ is the subject and 本です is the predicate. です (desu) is most similar to the "is/are" in the english language. There are other ways of saying "is/are" but again - it will be touched on later. For now, we will focus on using は in the "X is Y" sentence structure.

So if you want to say "This is a fish." What would you say? さかな is fish fyi - pronounced sakana.

I can't spend too much time on this but you can replace kore with sore or are. Two things to note though: 1- sore is closer to the other person you are speaking to while are is kind of distant from both of you, 2- kore/sore/are is not used for humans. You use kono/sono/ano - same meanings (this, that, that over there) but different usage.

Next particle that is really important is particle の (No). This is the possessive particle. In other words, if you put this after a noun (let's go with Aki-san) and before another noun (we will go with inu - dog) it would become Aki-san no inu - Aki's dog OR Dog of Aki. Do you get it? If not, here is another example. Why don't we use ourselves?

So I would want to say My T-shirt is... I would use Watashi (Me/I) no T-Shatsu (T-shirt) wa....

So practice! How would you say "This is Ann's hat."

Finally, we have を pronounced 'o' but written wo and found in the 'w' line on the hiragana chart. This is the object particle, used for verbs. It's not the only one that can be attached with verbs - you can pretty much use all of them once you know how. But in the beginning we will begin with this particle. The first verb I will teach you is します (shimasu) which means to do. It's probably one of the most common verbs in my opinion due to how often it appears. Anyways, as said before it is the object particle which if you can't guess is connected with objects and verbs that use the object particle (there are some that do not such as norimasu [to ride] and many others). So what we will practice here is the basic use of を and します.

Example: I will do homework. わたしはしゅくだいをします。 わたし-I は-Subj Particle しゅくだい-homework を-object particle します-do

For all intensive purposes we will start our sentences with watashi wa and ____-san wa for now. Long Form Present Affirmative (or what a lot of people that I have learned from call the "-masu" form) can also be used for future tense or saying "Aki eats sushi." [On a side note, we used Aki because we can write it in hiragana in the beginning of the class] We use that sentence as an example a lot in my Japanese class because it is the first one we learn since it is super easy and is a very easy example for later forms of the verbs. But since I have yet to teach you the verb for eat (and if you know it, please bear with me for now) we will go with "Aki does soccer."

あきさんはさっかあをします。(It is really サッカー but it is katakana)
aki-san wa sakkaa wo shimasu.
Aki does soccer. (proper english)----> Aki plays soccer.*

*There is another verb - asobimasu. Asobimasu means to play. But in English, we often use play for things like sports or instruments or certain other actions. Asobimasu does not cover those. It covers more of video games and other types of games. For sports it's "to do", instruments depend on the kind you play, and like playing dress up I don't know... I would think some type of "dressing/wearing".

Now time for you to try!

Do the sentence: Aki will do my homework.

That's it! =D
I will be posting the new document for practice in the next couple days! =D
Last edited by shinkamalei; 03-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Posted 04-05-2011, 02:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Thanks! I find this small lesson helpful ^-^ I'm gonna post a link up front to this post :3

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #367  
Helpful things for the particles would definately be tofugus particle cheat guide. Doesn't have them all, but has the basic. Really helpful and makes things simple. And @Shi: Yeah, I only put him in his place once. No need for any more times. lol. He was shocked!
Old Posted 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Particles, fuck them. I hate them so much. XD More than kanji. I'm starting to enjoy kanji now that I know I can remember them now. <3 I'm really happy about this.

But I agree, a weekly 5 or so kanji would be good. But if they're pairs (like say the first week you do numbers, just do 1-10 cause they're so easy) then maybe a couple more.

Anyway's, I am serious about anyone wanting to come up with a kanji list for me. XD

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM Reply With Quote