Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Wayward Victorian Doll
Default City of Shadows ~ OOC (Recruiting!)   #1  
City of Shadows

Atticus, city of despair and desperation. Its walls are an embrace against the dark, its walls are the tight clench of suffocation. Her people survive, but they never truly live.
You find yourself among the unfortunate pressed firmly toward her outer ring, where the common folk drop dead all around you of nefarious and sometimes mysterious causes. You've often considered leaving, but it's not as easy as it seems - to gain passage on an airship would require working every second of every hour of your life without spending a single coin. Walking out through the city gates would be an easy enough task, but are you strong enough to challenge the strange, vicious beasts that saturate the barren world beyond?
Your best choice for now is to toil in your misery and bitterly accept the patronizing smiles and false whispers of hope from the high gentry who tightly grasp the strings of your life.
Who knows? Perhaps things will change. Perhaps you'll discover others like you, who wish for nothing more than to keep the shadows at bay.

Look, I made a thing! And I'm looking for people to join!
That's about the gist of what I've thought up so far, so if anyone has any input on what sort of story/setting they'd like to play around in, definitely feel free to discuss it in here. The general theme (-salutes-) is going to be a dark fantasy with some steampunk elements. We'll most likely only be playing as human characters unless someone can give a compelling argument against it. Superpowers and the like are open to discussion. I'll be putting up my own profile later, but for now, here's a skeleton profile for you to ponder over. If you get a character all made up before I do, send it to me in a PM, and I'll get it posted up for everyone to see.

Aaaand, go!
Last edited by CupcakeDolly; 10-18-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old Posted 10-08-2015, 12:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Places of Moderate Importance
~ * ~

The Kingsford Tower is situated at the center of the great walled city. It serves as the palatial apartments for the collective of mayors and governors, as well as an airstation for the dirigibles of the high gentry. Its wide and brightly lit clock face can be seen from miles away, and the tolling of its bells is a dreary reminder of the empty mortality suffered by the people in the world below.

Atwater Asylum
Established by Royden Shrapnel Atwater in the days of Atticus' founding, Atwater Asylum provides care and housing for the admittedly vast population of insane citizens. Although the facility promises a cure for any mental malady, very few patients have been released back into society over the many years. Currently, the thirteen-story structure is undergoing repairs, due to a recent incident involving a tiny girl and some well-mixed chemicals, and the Atwater employees are hard at work tracking down a dozen or so incurably insane escapees.
((Players take note: It's now easier than ever to join the RP, thanks to the Atwater Asylum! Need to take a break from playing? No problem! Just let us know, and we'll have your character hauled off for "treatment"! Want to come back and keep playing? We'll bust your character out and fill them in on what's happened while they were away, bringing them seamlessly back into the story! How convenient!))

Profiles
~ * ~

Username: CupcakeDolly
Character name: Ophelia Amaryllis Salwey
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 83 lbs
Appearance:

Profession: Corpse Collector
Skills: Advanced agility, information gathering, and perception. A quick study in most subjects, and the undefeated champion of hide-and-seek.
Flaws: PTSD, extreme bipolar tendencies, and all-around unnatural behavior.
Bio: Ophelia was born amidst the high gentry of Atticus. However, if asked, she would tell you that she was born only four years ago, on the day she was baptised in the aquatherapy baths of the Atwater Asylum.
When she was sixteen, Ophelia was wed to a respectable man of the gentry. Before their marriage could be consummated, however, Ophelia discovered her husband abed with perhaps six or more young boys (there were too many limbs for her to be sure). It was her misfortune that the next day her husband realized that his pretty young wife was mad with fits of rage and insatiable hysteria, and she was immediately admitted to the care of the asylum.
Over the years Ophelia's condition was treated with nearly every available method, but to no avail. She quickly became sickly and antisocial and would scream nonsense at her doctors if approached. She was abandoned for a lost cause and sequestered in highest towers of the asylum where, incidentally, a freak explosion brought down the entire south wall of thirteenth floor, through which the most depraved and insane patients were able to escape.
Ophelia has not been seen or heard from since. However, a thin, gaunt girl named Amary who loosely matches her description can be seen from time to time assisting the corpse collector in the outer ring of Atticus.
Should you happen upon Ophelia, be advised that the girl is now highly unstable, and there are a few trigger words which you should never, ever speak in her presence.

Username: Salone
Character name: Emmanuel Shaw
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 180 lbs
Appearance:

Profession: Airship Mechanic, (Former) Airship Captain

Skills: Extensive working knowledge of airships, general mechanics, charismatic when sober.

Flaws: Alcoholism, paranoia, suffers flashbacks to horrors he has survived in the forest. Can be scared of the dark.

Bio: Emmanuel Shaw once was a prestigious airship captain for the Bastable Airship Company. For years he sailed the skies, making many stops all over the world, venturing to Atticus sporadically to drop off the occasional cargo or passenger. That is, until the crash. On a late night run to Atticus, Emmanuel's airship experienced a catastrophic hull breach, causing him to crash in to the forest that surrounds Atticus. Wounded and stranded in the dark of the night, Shaw was the only one to make it to the city alive, although he would argue that part of him is still out there. After the massive loss of an airship and its crew and cargo, the Bastable Airship Company decided to cut its ties with Shaw, leaving him stranded in the city of Atticus. He has taken to working the airship yards of Atticus, performing maintenance on the very ships he used to command. That is, when he is not in a drunken stupor, raving about the horrors of the dark that he has endured outside the walls of the city.

Username: Lawtan
Character Name: Godia “Goliath” Maximus
Height: 5’ 8”
Weight: 120 lbs

Appearance: A woman with Olive skin and dark slightly greying hair, and always with a grin and a twinkle in her blue eyes, as if calculating and judging the area around her. Goliath is not imposing in presence, but in deed and arrogance. She carries Binoculars, a repeating rifle with a bayonet attached.
Goliath is dressed in a Navy Blue leather military coat, modified to carry a good deal of ammunition, and two pistols. She sold her military honors and covers the buttons – so as not to have them be caught.
Under it is an armor made of thick white silk, both for warmth and due to early reports of silken cloth deflecting bullets slightly. It comes down to act as a short skirt, and she has been able to wear that in “civilized” environments.
She carries an old cloak that acts as a sleeping bag. It has pockets that store food and other necessary supplies – from a compass to a computing sliderule. Though difficult to find, she wears blue leather jeans and thick combat boots.

Profession: Huntress, (Former) Military Espionage Agent
Skills: Tactician, Information Gathering, Chemistry (poisons, toxins, and gunpowder), Mathematician (Ballistics), Ranged Weaponry (Rifle & Archery), Foraging, basic Close Combat abilities, Charismatic, Ruthless
Flaws: Paranoia, Insensitivity, Fatalism (Excited to go into battle), Arthritis, God Complex

Bio:
These people must know me if I am to be their ruler. Like little badgers crawling across the ground, begging for an end to their struggles. Ha! As if a superior would waste the time. The beasts outside this city offer a greater challenge. Death takes all eventually, and as a dealer of destruction, that makes me an agent of Death.
Oh how I miss the early days, where I would squash the houses aligned against the Lords. The beauty of their children’s dead eyes as the Lords established power decades ago. Order to the chaotic world, or so they believed. We are all beings of chaos, but chaos is weak – easily domesticated under the shells of machines.
Oh, the artillery. Such an unrefined monster. I still remember my map of the city and wildlands. Region 12, 7 degrees south, 54 degrees west. Area shelled: 160 meters. At an estimated downward velocity of of 242.16 meters/second towards the Earth, the canister-shot would unleash hundreds of bullets shredding the area. And I was the one responsible for it’s target. Technology is truly a beautiful, obedient thing.
Sad that those days against other lands are over. The fools saw fit to betray those of us who gave them power. They tried to force us back into normal life. After the glory of seeing a building reduced to its base components? No. Better that I keep my standard weapons and work in these dredges, fulfilling my destiny.
These people see fit to pay me in what I need in exchange for meat and protection. It is a convenient deal, and all deities of old had their clients. I am an avatar of Death.

Username: Suze
Character name: Laurentian Sicari Schwarzstein
Height: 6'1”
Weight: 193 lbs
Appearance:

Powerfully muscled, Laurentian cuts an imposing figure, standing with impeccably-straight posture. His face is haggard beyond his years from the harsh life he has lived, and his hair has faded to a premature gray. He dresses in elegant but functional garments and carries a great many weapons on his person. He wears a glass eye in the empty socket where his left should be.

Profession: Mage-exterminator

Skills: Extensive knowledge of alchemy, Exceptional discipline and pain tolerance, Assassin's marksmanship and hand-to-hand training, Working knowledge of sorcery and the anatomy of magical beasts

Flaws: Lack of depth perception, homicidal inclinations, addicted to a variety of alchemical drugs

Possessions: Compactible repeating crossbow with silver-tipped quarrels, a pair of revolvers (with various specialized ammunitions), several throwing knives, extra-long rondel dagger, sword-breaker, scramasax, a lining of six-weave tempered steel maille worn under his clothing, fire- and waterproof cloak, stockpile of alchemicals (bombs, poisons, stimulants, esoteric drugs), a collection of Madness Grimoires stolen from the libraries of mages he has killed

Bio: The disciple of a master whose name he will never speak, Laurent's past is a mystery best left undelved. He appeared in the city some ten years ago, taking contracts with the wealthiest barons and criminal bosses who had need of his particular qualifications. Suffice it to say, if a personage of power and station in Atticus requires the elimination of a sorcerous rival, Laurentian is the first name on the list. He has been responsible for the assassination of several high-profile mages over the years, all of which are now classified as cold cases. He maintains several hideouts throughout the city, especially in the lawless outskirts, and one can only lament the fate of the occupants of the homes before he chose to re-purpose them. For that is where Laurent's other pursuits intersect with his work: perhaps as a result of damage done to his brain by alchemical stimulants, he routinely takes it upon himself to massacre entire families in the slums. Sometimes the attacks are executed with the precision that is the hallmark of his professional work; other times, the crime scenes are the sight of mutilations, vivisections, and sheer butchery, likely as the result of fits of drug-induced frenzy.

When he is not engaging in such activities, Laurent obsessively studies his collection of Madness Grimoires, memorizing the deranged rituals and invocations of the True Ones scribed within. He flirts with the idea of attempting a summoning, but has as yet refrained.

His only companion, if the term has any relevance for him, is his sometimes-partner Herbert Mansfield, an unfortunate necromancer who had a nonconsensual transcranial encepheloplasty performed on him by some mad mage-doctor, imprisoning his brain in the body of a greyhound. Herbert provides Laurent with aid in his magical research and occasional assistance on his assassination missions, in exchange for shelter in Laurent's many bases of operations and the odd table-scrap.

Username: Doctor Gabriel
Character name: His Majesty Lord [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED] Gabriel, The Vagrant King No Matching Royal Bloodline; Appears To Be A Self Given Title In An Inane Bid To Fein Importance
Height: [REDACTED] Estimated Between Five Feet, Ten Inches And Six Feet Tall
Weight: [REDACTED] Estimated Around One Hundred And Fifty Pounds
Appearance: Artist's Rendition From Memory

Noted Inconsistencies:
-Hair Has Grown Significantly In Length (Seems Fond Of Styling It In The Most Nonsensical Manners Possible)
-Facial Hair Has Grown As Well; Appears The Same Golden Yellow As His Hair
-Eyes Are Too Dark; They’re Always Reported To Be An Incandescent Gold (Some Witnesses Report Seeing Them Shine Like Stars In The Dark of Night)
Profession: [REDACTED] Seems To Live By Conning, Stealing, And Smooth Talking Anyone and Everyone Who Has Something He Wants
Skills: Deadliest Weapon Is His Tongue; Yet To Receive A Report In Which He Hadn’t Been Able To Talk His Way Out Of Trouble With All But Our Agents. Agile And Adept At Moving Through Urban Environments. Has Been Able To Dispatch ALmost All Agents Sent In Pursuit That He Couldn’t Convince To Leave Him Alone With A Pair of Distinct Blades He Carries (Though Strangely, Some Accounts Report A Pair of Pistols In Their Place), One Made Of What Is Believed To Be Talc Due To Its Ivory Coloration and The Other Most Likely Onyx. Smarter And Far More Cunning Than He Lets On. Appears To Have An Unnaturally High Tolerance For Pain. And The Ability To Survive Falls That Would Cripple Most Men
Flaws: Easily Distracted By Women And Drink. In The Few Instances Where Agents Were Able To Disarm Him Of One Of His Weapons, He Has Was Reported To Become So Unbalanced He Could Be Mistaken For Drunk, Becomes Violently Enraged When His Hair Is Mocked, Sullied, Or Otherwise Forcibly Disheveled, Arrogant And Vain, Especially In The Presence Of Men He Perceives As More Attractive Than Himself, Has Just About The Most Ridiculous Hero Complex Ever Documented. Repeatedly Risked Harm And Capture When His Escape Put Innocents In Danger, Especially Women And Children. And, While More Of An Oddity Than A Flaw, He Has Been Sighted On Multiple Occasions Talking To His Swords/Pistols.
Bio: INCOMPLETE
Lord Gabriel, as he insists upon being called, appears to talk to just about anyone and everyone who will listen about who he is and where here’s from. Unfortunately, each recounting is inconsistent and utterly nonsensical.
His favorites appear to be:
-That he is the disgraced son of a tortoise and a rattlesnake that was disowned and banished from his homeland when he fell in love with a Jackalope.
-That he was born in bathtub from unholy union of three men he only ever identifies as “The Butcher,” “The Baker,” and “The Candlestick Maker.”
-That he is an ancient warrior, risen from the dead to finally exact his vengeance upon his neighbor for always stealing his mail.
And, by far the most common: that he is the Messiah, sent from the heavens to save the downtrodden and destitute from their vile, arrogant lords.
While most of these seem to be ploys on his part to convince others he is a harmless lunatic, the last may actually be a truthful account of how he views himself.
As it stands, what follows are the only completely accurate facts we have been able to confirm:
-The first recorded sighting of The Vagrant King was a year ago as he headed North from the Burning Wastes.
-Each settlement, village, town, or city he has passed through has had it’s reigning Lords all brutally murdered within a week of his arrival.
-He constantly seems to vanish or completely outfox pursuers each time any begin closing in on him.
-His last known sighting was in Atticus.
Last edited by CupcakeDolly; 11-24-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old Posted 10-08-2015, 11:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Default   #3  
Profile incoming shortly!
Last edited by Salone; 10-10-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old Posted 10-10-2015, 03:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Still looking for players! I'm itching to start soon!
Come on, we won't bite!
...No, that's a lie. I will bite. But only because I care.
Old Posted 10-18-2015, 11:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #5  
Stop making me want to do things I do not have the time for comma dammit.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-19-2015, 01:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Make time! Do it! See there's even a way for you to disappear for a bit if you need to! Do it, Espy.
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 02:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #7  
=O!
Espyyyy!!
<333
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 04:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Ugh see.

I haven't even properly joined the GW2 RP, and that's a /casual/ one. And I'm also doing a Fate game (think DnD in space) every...Sunday...at school. ...By the way, I yanked Liam out of your previous RP for that one, Dolly. He's now the third or fourth engineer aboard the ship.

This one will actually take planning.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-19-2015, 07:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #9  
Plan...ning? What is that?
Honestly, I pulled all of this straight out of my rectum. The only real plan was to come up with a setting and then BS our way through the story.
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 07:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Well, I need to do some thinking to make a decent character.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #11  
Do ittt~! Espy is always welcome!
I would suggest a character who is either super sane (so they can act as a support system of sorts for Ophelia and Ephraim), or batshit bonkers (so they can join in on the fun) =D
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 08:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
I would join, but I have no way of knowing my mental stability - been on the anxiety-induced-depression twister the past few weeks, am less experienced in RP's than Salone/Espy/all, and don't want to ruin your thing.
(Character I thought of for this is based on a Byzantine female military/political leader character from my stories...narcissistic sociopath, willing to kill allies, and seeking personal fatalistic glory...sort of like Theodora meets Achilles)
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 09:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Default   #13  
Lawtan, I think the entire point of this RP would be to explore some unhinged mental issues. Go for it mate. Join us. Experience is only earned by having experiences! Mrs. Frizzle it up!
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 09:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Now there's an idea. I think we could all use some literary therapy, and if we need to use this RP as a medium, by golly I'm just fine with that.
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 10:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #15  
Were I to do that, I'd bring Kadia/Rurik back from the dead.
Goliath(a) is different. She is essentially the developed version of the "evil path hero" for RPG's...she was a Drow at one point. Underdark, 6th century Byzantine court, same thing. xD
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Ooooor you could always make a new character! (Says the person with over 100 OCs)
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-21-2015, 01:44 PM Reply With Quote