View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Aren nodded to Tristan, but he couldn't return that friendly smile even if he wanted to. It felt as if those muscles didn't work anymore, if they ever did. He was at a loss for words as well, so accustomed to having no one but his brother for company, and well, he wasn't exactly the most talkative fellow to ever grace the face of the planet. Instead of anything of substance, he responded with a simple, “Motivation is good, I suppose.” It was something he wished he had when his brother was alive. Or, at least, motivation towards physical fitness. He had motivation, just not the right kind, apparently.

Aren was hyper-conscious of both pairs of eyes on him and he shifted where he stood, wishing he had something in his hands to fiddle with but there was no such luck. His intention when he came up here was solitude. Though, perhaps a friend or two wouldn't be such a bad thing. These two, however, seemed more keen on what they were doing than making friends, and he recognized a distrustful look when he saw one. He couldn't blame the guy though; he was sure he wore the same expression. “Yeah, yeah, I figured. Makes sense. I'll find my own way if I have to, just guessed it'd be wiser to try to ask around for a good path's all.” He gulped, not knowing if he wanted to tell him all that he probably should. He settled with the easiest mode of explanation possible: “Mushrooms. Not...the ah...psychedelic kind. I want to study. Books ain't cutting it anymore. I need to do field work. Hard to do that cooped up in this city.”

“I know how to shoot,” Aren offered hopefully. “My brother taught me. I'm a pretty decent shot if I'm being honest. It's one of the two things I'm good at.” Aren's irises moved with the ginger man as he raised himself, lowering, then raising again. It was impressive and something that at one point he wished he could do. Now, he still wished that, but he wanted more and he had to choose. Even with his brother's undoubted disapproval, he was going to continue down the path he'd forged for himself.

Aren eventually shrugged, “But I get it. Keeping the paths secret. I wouldn't wanna tell everyone about it neither. Might fall into the wrong ears. Good luck with your work out, I'll leave ya alone now if ya want.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 05-20-2018, 02:55 AM Reply With Quote