View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Aren nodded, glad that the general idea was at least conveyed. It was stuff that Ian didn't necessarily need to know anyway, but it would be enough to prove that his intentions for coming out into the wilds were pure. “Sorry about that, I ah, sorta almost always have my head buried in a book. And since I was always reading, I wanted to learn about something that'd actually be sorta useful. Though, I've been told that this shit ain't useful either, but we'll see about that.” He gave a brief shrug and held up his gloved hands, “Already got that covered. Besides, antibacterial soap is hard to come by these days, and we'd be kinda fucked if we didn't.”

He held up several tightly sealed baggies, wrapped and taped over for extra security, “I've got enough for now. I might need to collect more later, because we might be looking at several different species with different abilities – which is why I'm guessing we get the different types of infected. Just like with the ants. If a cure is even possible, it's likely that different variations will have to be made.” These were the high hopes of the aspiring mycologist, and they were hopes that he realized he may never reach, but he was sure as shit gonna try.

“That's fine. It's not like my place back home is comfortable anyway,” Aren murmured, stalking behind his guide and thumbing through his samples. He'd taken three from each, and took samples from the various parts as well. It was enough to work with initially, but now he was beginning to wish he hadn't left his microscope behind. He'd have to come out here again. Likely, he'd have to come out several times over. He watched as the bear trap (one that he could very easily imagine his own ankle getting caught in) was moved and he felt a shudder run down his spine. “Five o' clock in winter months and six in the spring and summer when the days get longer. I did some snooping and found their schedules.” He didn't mention that he'd pilfered one from his brother once he was sure his brother knew it by heart and wouldn't be missing it should it disappear.

Aren couldn't help but slow down as they passed the books. He picked up an atlas, thankful that they were still making them at the time of the Reckoning and opened it up. “A map of the surrounding area. This'd be useful.” He put the atlas in his backpack. He could set it up in his little lab once it was established. He shut his mouth when he could hear the smaller boy's voice over the walky talky and took in the room's environment. It would be perfect to set a camp up in, and if he could establish his lab here, like Ian seemed to insinuate, it would be perfect.

He looked down hearing the way the brothers spoke to each other. He wished like Hell he could have had something like that with his brother. Now, his brother was gone and there was no chance. Remaining quiet, he unpacked two small, tightly folded blankets, one of which he'd use as a pillow. Having set up his bed, he moved to the table, set down the atlas and began to sift through his findings and (after re-putting on the gloves) started the arduous process of creating slides.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-04-2018, 08:33 PM Reply With Quote