View Single Post
Forward Thinker
Default A first look: New Avatar Editor   #1  
As I believe most everybody's already aware, I've been working on a shiny new editor for the site.

And today, I wish to tell you:

It's nearly done!

It's close enough to being done, in fact, that I'm going to make it publicly available as of now.

Before I get to the link, though, I want to make sure you're well aware: This editor is not finished. There is a considerable amount of styling that still needs refining, and there are several missing features.

The features not present are:
  • Removing Items from the layers tab. (You must click them in the list under the avatar)
  • Hiding portions of the body base
  • Most of the item category tabs are empty, because we have not gone through and tagged items with the relevant information yet: Only the things under the provisionally-titled "All" category will work, and they are by acquisition method. Well, those and the "Body" tab.
  • Item Search: Type in the name, see the item.
  • Tutorials: Before I declare this finished, it will walk new users (or returning ones who want the tutorial) through the various features and actions.

Okay, got it?

Have a look!

v v v v v v
> The New Avatar Editor <
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So why, you ask, would you care about some new editor? It's the same avatar, right?

Well, it is. But there are a few improvements here, providing a couple new options for display, making it so that item poses aren't put in a tiny box you have to squint at, having the editor be reasonably sized in a mobile window and...

Closets.

Oh yes. That totally works.

At the present preview state, I am not offering the option to expand your closet beyond 4 slots, but that will be an option in the near future.

Also, the icons in the closet are terrible. So...sorry 'bout that.

In the Closet, there are 4 things you can do with an outfit:
  • Add to Avatar - Takes the outfit and puts all its items on top of what you have there. So, you can save a face style you like, and plop that onto any new avatar
  • Replace Avatar - Removes your current avatar settings, and replaces them with the outfit. This includes base & facing.
  • Put Avatar Here - Save what's on your avatar in this slot.
  • Delete - Clears out the slot.

You can also name the outfit by clicking its name and typing. Push enter to save the name.

The old avatar editor will remain active and the default link until this one has a few more important bits, and the major known issues are all resolved.

Known Issues:
  • Items that do not have appropriately gendered poses (there are few) end up with a blank popup
  • Loading isn't very graceful--you'll occasionally see text that doesn't apply while things load up
  • Closet images don't refresh properly on iOS Safari
  • Dragging to resort layering on mobile is...rather broken. (It works, but the browsers try to scroll as you drag. Awkward.)
  • Layer buttons for move up/down & remove are missing from Layers tab.

Tell me what you think, and if you run into any weird problems!
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM Reply With Quote