View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #19  
Chidi understood. Chidi understood, and the thought disgusted her. But the gold wasn't the only thing that was non-negotiable. For all intents and purposes, she was a hostage. No matter where she went, this bard would be there to follow her, haunt her...destroy her. The amount she would be paid sounded like entirely too much, especially as she didn't know what all a retainer needed to do - let alone one for someone as terrible as this. Her mind reeled until Nanika grasped her shoulders, wiping away a tear she didn't realize had escaped. "Shh...it'll be okay," she said, sliding a piece of paper into Chidi's pocket, "You're adaptable. You'll figure it out. As for this whole situation?" she said tossing her head back to gesture to Tritonia, "You are still your own person. It is as she said, you cantry to make it on your own and I'm sure you'd be taken in. You have the choice, just as you always have. You're welcome here any time and there is no rush for you to leave; you know that."

Chidi swallowed and nodded as Nanika kissed her on either side of her face, squeezed her shoulder, and turned to leave. Now, she was alone with her potential employer, and her eyes now went to the floor trailing back up to Tritonia's face. "Well? What do I do to start?"
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-19-2018, 09:43 PM Reply With Quote