Thread: Green Day
View Single Post
System Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
They are my FAVORITE band. I have grown up with them. <3
I like all of their albums, but I like Dookie and Nimrod days the best.
(Even though Paper Lanterns is my favorite song)
I actually had the pleasure of seeing them on their American Idiot tour, and it was THE best concert that I have ever seen.
Billie Joe puts on an AMAZING show.
That he does! I did not see them on that tour; I was just getting into them by the time they were touring, and had other conflicts which prevented me from being able to go. However, I did see them for their 21CB tour, and it was beyond amazing - my dad, who has been to his share of rock shows, said it was THE best show he'd ever seen. And he isn't easily impressed. I have heard that the 21CB shows are even better than the AI shows - and that the crowds were easier, too, without as many of the one-hit-wonder fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh
Dookie would be the first one I knew of. Darn, I thought I had that right. I meet people now and then who don't realize that Green Day was around before American Idiot.

It was a literature course that we studied the album in, as part of the sort of adolescent rebellious/teenage angst section. We were studying literary classics and how they have been manifested in cometmporary popular culture.
Aw, it's okay; it's a fairly easy mistake. When I first began to get into them, I thought it was their first album as well. I am fortunate enough to have older sisters whose tastes in the 90s were shared with me, so even though I did not get into them then, the seeds were planted and as I hit adolescence the bands of the 90s became important to me.

That's really cool! I love analyzing modern things in conjunction with other forms/manifestations of certain kinds of art. And it certainly makes students feel much more engaged with thigns they otherwise may not feel to be very relevant. I had an anthropology class in which the album was mentioned, although only in passing, with regard to the uses that art has served anthropologically through history - political being one of them.

As an aside, I have to say I am surprised to see a positive reaction, because I am used to seeing lukewarm and downright cold responses to this topic.
Come Chat With Me?

Or, if you're feeling crafty...

Knit or Crochet? Find me on Ravelry

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 02:10 AM Reply With Quote