Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

System Start
Default Green Day   #1  
My favorite band - and I know there have to be other Trispheans who love them as well! Maybe not as much as me... a bit obsessed, meself... but at least enough to come in here and say sommat!
Come Chat With Me?

Or, if you're feeling crafty...

Knit or Crochet? Find me on Ravelry

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-02-2011, 11:25 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I like them. They aren't my favourites in the whole universe but they do sound distinct to me (maybe just because I recognize them) and I always get a not-quite nostalic feeling from then since they were one of the popular bands when I was in school. I'm more familiar with their first album than anything else though I gave away my copy some time ago. We studied "American Idiot" in one of my college courses. That was amusing. :)
Old Posted 06-05-2011, 03:07 AM Reply With Quote  
System Start
Default   #3  
Haha! That actually makes sense to me, as it is significant because it was one of the big albums of the time, politically.

And by the first album... do you mean Dookie? With "When I Come Around" and "Welcome to Paradise" ? That was actually their third album - first with a major label though, therefore likely the first to get a lot of major airplay.
Come Chat With Me?

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Unknown
They are my FAVORITE band. I have grown up with them. <3
I like all of their albums, but I like Dookie and Nimrod days the best.
(Even though Paper Lanterns is my favorite song)
I actually had the pleasure of seeing them on their American Idiot tour, and it was THE best concert that I have ever seen.
Billie Joe puts on an AMAZING show.

Found this old gem from the Taskal War xD

Please, call me Annie. <3

My saved avatar back before we had items with color and things glitched when you equipped them.... o-o
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...atarglitch.png
Old Posted 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #5  
Dookie would be the first one I knew of. Darn, I thought I had that right. I meet people now and then who don't realize that Green Day was around before American Idiot.

It was a literature course that we studied the album in, as part of the sort of adolescent rebellious/teenage angst section. We were studying literary classics and how they have been manifested in cometmporary popular culture.
Old Posted 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM Reply With Quote  
System Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
They are my FAVORITE band. I have grown up with them. <3
I like all of their albums, but I like Dookie and Nimrod days the best.
(Even though Paper Lanterns is my favorite song)
I actually had the pleasure of seeing them on their American Idiot tour, and it was THE best concert that I have ever seen.
Billie Joe puts on an AMAZING show.
That he does! I did not see them on that tour; I was just getting into them by the time they were touring, and had other conflicts which prevented me from being able to go. However, I did see them for their 21CB tour, and it was beyond amazing - my dad, who has been to his share of rock shows, said it was THE best show he'd ever seen. And he isn't easily impressed. I have heard that the 21CB shows are even better than the AI shows - and that the crowds were easier, too, without as many of the one-hit-wonder fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh
Dookie would be the first one I knew of. Darn, I thought I had that right. I meet people now and then who don't realize that Green Day was around before American Idiot.

It was a literature course that we studied the album in, as part of the sort of adolescent rebellious/teenage angst section. We were studying literary classics and how they have been manifested in cometmporary popular culture.
Aw, it's okay; it's a fairly easy mistake. When I first began to get into them, I thought it was their first album as well. I am fortunate enough to have older sisters whose tastes in the 90s were shared with me, so even though I did not get into them then, the seeds were planted and as I hit adolescence the bands of the 90s became important to me.

That's really cool! I love analyzing modern things in conjunction with other forms/manifestations of certain kinds of art. And it certainly makes students feel much more engaged with thigns they otherwise may not feel to be very relevant. I had an anthropology class in which the album was mentioned, although only in passing, with regard to the uses that art has served anthropologically through history - political being one of them.

As an aside, I have to say I am surprised to see a positive reaction, because I am used to seeing lukewarm and downright cold responses to this topic.
Come Chat With Me?

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 02:10 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
To Green Day? I'm not sure how popular they are as a whole but some of their songs are definately up there. One song from Dookie always sticks around with me, though it's not "When I come Around," it's another.

"Sometimes I give myself the creeps.
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me.
It all keeps adding up, I think I'm cracking up..."

That one. I think it's Dookie anyway. I sometime get Green Day crossed with Live on occasion because both artists were popular at the same time. The soundtrack around my grade 7 was pretty much Green Day, Live, Silver Chair, Moist, and Bush X.

Green Day is pretty distinctive though, most of the time. I could tell who it was singing when I first heard songs from American Idiot even though I hadn't heard them in years.

EDIT: Basketcase? Is that the right song?
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 06-08-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 02:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
I honestly can't stand them or any of their music. >.>
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM Reply With Quote  
System Start
Default   #9  
@ QMC: *points at Nanka's post* Like that :P

Yes, that song is called Basketcase. And though I am not a big fan of Live, I can see where the confusion might come from. Basketcase is one of my favorites, as well.
Come Chat With Me?

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
I was listening to Holiday when I smashed a light and nearly killed
my finger. Haven't listened to them sense.
I do like them, though. They have nice music. ouo
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 05:27 PM Reply With Quote  
System Start
Default   #11  
Well... I'm sorry to hear that about the light and your finger o_o. Cool you like them, though.

I was fortunate to be able to see the musical American Idiot on Broadway whilst in New York to visit a friend last year. It was awesome, and I love the arrangements of the songs. It takes the music and its story to a new level. I look forward to seeing the touring production with my family.
Come Chat With Me?

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-08-2011, 05:30 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I had no idea there was a musical. I want to go see! Sort of. More to see what one would do with it than to hear the songs. I'm curious. :)

When I Come Around (GD) and Lay Me Down (Live) are the titles I always get mixed up but as soon as I recall the actual song I figure it out quickly enough. I like Live and Green Day about the same, they both have songs that I like and songs I don't like but I think Green Day has a few more. Of course, the only Live CD I've heard is Throwing Copper and that was some time ago, plus the one song Dolphin's Cry so I've heard more of Green Day. My tastes have largely shifted to metal and rock now but I still like some of the old stuff ;). Not an alternative junky anymore.
Old Posted 06-09-2011, 02:05 AM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #13  
I loved Green Day as a younger teenager. They were my favorite band and I still know all the words to most songs. it's been a while, though, so I could probably sing along to the music but not remember everything off the top of my head.

My favorite albums are the first two and Warning. I only liked a couple songs from Nimrod. Dookie was a decent album as well. But I just really like the sound of the earlier ones a lot better. I actually didn't like American Idiot very much, and I don't like 21st Century Breakdown at all.

Foxboro Hottubs, their side project, is really interesting though.

My musical tastes have shifted a lot closer to indie and folk, though, so I don't listen to them much anymore.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 06-15-2011, 09:45 PM Reply With Quote  
System Start
Ah, that's cool :).

Mhmm tastes change that's natural, but good on you for not being all, "ugh they suck now"
Come Chat With Me?

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #15  
Yeah, I still listen to them when they shuffle onto my iPod - especially the earlier music, which I do still enjoy. I just don't actively say, "I want to listen to Green Day right now" like I do with other artists. I appreciate and will listen to most genres of music, and I gravitate closer towards certain styles which change gradually over time.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM Reply With Quote  
System Start
Yeah; that makes sense. It also makes sense you like Warning and the first two, since they are a little more mellow in comparison with their other albums.
Come Chat With Me?

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!
Old Posted 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM Reply With Quote